Are you someone who enjoys organizing events? Do you like to contribute to community-building activities? Look no further! Volunteer with us for the J.O.Y. Program. (Just Older Youth)
What is the J.O.Y Program?
The J.O.Y Program helps bring the seniors of our community together by conducting events and gatherings for them. One of our goals is to reduce loneliness and social isolation within our senior community. The J.O.Y Project also provides a forum for sharing circles between the youth and senior members. These gatherings stimulate the hearts and minds of people on both ends of the age spectrum, providing a rare opportunity for different generations to appreciate the hard-learned lessons of a long life.
The J.O.Y Project intends to conduct monthly events throughout the year. The event date would generally be the last Wednesday of every month. The event list includes a mix of social, recreational and educational events focused on engaging the senior community.
Event Volunteer Role:
The event volunteer would be responsible for supporting us with various activities for these planned events. This includes but is not limited to prepping the space before the event, interacting with the seniors, hosting some fun activities for the seniors, etc. The nature of responsibilities may differ from event to event.
Overall, the event volunteer (in conjunction with other volunteers) would be responsible for the smooth execution of the event. The event volunteer is not required to be present for each and every event; they may choose to opt out of a particular event depending on their availability.
- Attend the monthly event and help with setting up, hosting activities, cleaning up after the event, etc.
- Assist seniors with the different games or activities, helping them feel comfortable
- Attend a few meetings every month to discuss and understand the tasks required for the event
- Specific responsibilities may differ depending on the event which will be shared during the meetings
Qualifications and Skills:
- Experience in hosting or facilitating a session (or a strong interest in hosting or conducting activities)
- Experience in working with volunteers or being a volunteer
- Must be personable, should be able to hold a conversation with seniors
- Familiar with messaging platforms, able to check messages daily/every other day
- Proactive and excellent communication skills in English
- Must be able to commit to at least 6 months
- Go-getter, great at brainstorming and problem-solving
- Familiarity with Google applications (Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms, Drive) is preferred
- Improved interpersonal, facilitation and hosting skills
- The opportunity to make a difference in the lives of senior citizens
- Gain experience of being part of a team and working independently
- Become part of the energetic J.O.Y team and the overall Low Entropy community
If interested, send your resume to Dhvani at her email: email@example.com
Available Positions: 10